Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Joan Didion and "The Year of Magical Thinking"

"Joan Didion's extraordinary memoir of grief, The Year Of Magical Thinking, will soon become a Broadway show."
Film Comment, January-February 2007

Caught my interest because I've heard it's a marvelous book, and also because I've had an eye on Didion for quite some time. I had it in the back of my mind that she is some sort of Christian, perhaps an Anglican? But a quick scan of the web puts that in question. She's clearly not too keen on the Left Behind series, George W., manifest destiny or fundamentalism - but that only means me and Joan (and Anne Lamott, for example) would have a lot in common, and I'm an orthodox believer (heck, I'm a proud graduate of Regent College and tickled to be on the faculty at Trinity Western U).

So I wonder: where did I come up with this idea that Joan had some sort of faith thing going on? She co-screenplayed TRUE CONFESSIONS, which fizzled as a movie despite superlative casting, but nonetheless treated faith with some understanding, I thought. Anybody help me with this?

Ron

1 Comments:

At 2:21 AM, Blogger Lois said...

"John was Catholic. He wrote, "I'm an avowed Catholic, I'm not a practicing Catholic. I hope there's a priest somewhere in the vicinity as I go out."
Source: Publishers Weekly, August 22, 1994 v241 n34 p30(2)

Joan is an Episcopalian."
- taken from http://marriage.about.com/od/thearts/p/didiondunne.htm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home